Re: srm and scsi controllers.

Hi,

> Yes, it can and does vary by platform, and by age as well. EV6
> platforms don't have code to support the original TGA or the old MYLEX
> RAID controllers, for example. Certain options are "retired" from the
> actively developed platforms due to age, and new ones added there and
> rarely backported. For example, SRM v5.7 for the EV6s added support
> for some Adaptec SCSI controllers. Fortunately, that code was
> backported into the LX and SX SRM consoles, but I don't know of any
> other pre-EV6 platforms in which this happened, or is likely to
> happen.

I wonder, if there is any information about *how* SRM determines, if a card is supported
or not. Does SRM just read the PCI config space and identify a card by it's
vendor_id/device_id byte pairs, or is there more magic involved.

I have observed, that some cheap symbios-based SCSI cards, which simply *clone* the
config-space from symbios are supported by SRM, without obviously being an orginial
DEC/Compaq part. Others, with customized PROM's are not, using the same chip.
That leads me to the conclusion, that there is ( to some degree ) some involvement of
the PCI config space.

Is there some sort of "SRM internals guide" available ( still looking for some doc of the
SRM ccb's though... ) ?

Regards,
Thomas Weyergraf