RE: FrameBuffers

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, JOHNSTONE,IAIN (A-Scotland,ex1) wrote:

> King of Framebuffers ........ I wish (-:
>
> Last night I tried to install an other brand of linux (shall remain nameless
> but there is a "hat" involved) because I have had problems getting hold of
> potato for alpha. I assume that my problems are generic rather than with the
> "hatted" brand.

did you try the "hatted" brand in text mode?

> When booting the AlphaServer 1000A from SRM with a CD the GUI install the
> screen goes blank as it the VGA card is not supported. After replacing the
> VGA card with a more generic Cirrus card all went well ... almost (a story
> for another day). The screen went blank also when booting with the Voodoo3.

well, FWIW I've had mixed luck with Voodoo3 cards and X 3.3.6. In some
machine they work fine, others seem to have problems. 4.0 looks to be much
better in this respect.

> I have heard it rumoured that Alphas have problems with fancy video cards
> .... is this true? Should I just go back to Potato for Sparc? Are Alpha's
> too much hassle?

Alphas can be difficult at times, however once you're over the hurdles I
find them much easier to deal with. As for video cards, the only cards
that have a real problem are the NVIDIA TNT2 based cards...they use
extended bios calls that the x86 emulator in the Alphas doesn't
understand, but if you get to SRM/AlphaBIOS/ARCBios then things are
looking good.

--rdp

> Cheers
> Iain