Re: FrameBuffers

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 05:20:44PM +0200, JOHNSTONE,IAIN (A-Scotland,ex1) wrote:
> Last night I tried to install an other brand of linux (shall remain nameless
> but there is a "hat" involved) because I have had problems getting hold of
> potato for alpha. I assume that my problems are generic rather than with the
> "hatted" brand.

Not necessarily. The Debian installer is by far the best installer for an
alpha distro that I have seen. The others seems to be strait ports of
Intel-platform installers.

> When booting the AlphaServer 1000A from SRM with a CD the GUI install the
> screen goes blank as it the VGA card is not supported. After replacing the
> VGA card with a more generic Cirrus card all went well ... almost (a story
> for another day). The screen went blank also when booting with the Voodoo3.

Could be any number of problems. Did you play around with the video settings
by passing various arguments to the kernel?

> I have heard it rumoured that Alphas have problems with fancy video cards
> .... is this true? Should I just go back to Potato for Sparc? Are Alpha's
> too much hassle?

They're definately not too much hassle. But it depends what you want to do
with your machines; if you want top processor performance and a fully 64-bit
userland, Alpha is the only choice. (Unless the 64-bit SPARC userland project
is further along than I thought?)

--
Henry House
OpenPGP key available from http://romana.cocoranch.com/hajhouse.asc