Re: Booting 2.2 gives wrong / fs

Paul Slootman writes:
 > On Sun 27 Aug 2000, Mathias Jansson wrote:
 >
 > > When I try booting the generic kernel (2.2.13, 2.2.15 and compaq-gen-up) from
 > > (MILO: boot sda1:/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.*-generic root=/dev/sda1)
 > > I get the following error:
 > > --
 > > You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem
 > >
 > > Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root filesystem
 > > --
 > >
 > > Why does it try to mount a ufs fs? My / fs is clearly an ext2 fs and so says
 > > my fstab. I've checked the kernel configs and they should all include ext2
 >
 > The kernel can only read your fstab after it has mounted your root
 > filesystem, so whatever is in there is irrelevant at the time of the
 > error :-)

:) Just excluding stuff

 > Are you sure that your root filesystem is /dev/sda1 ?

Very sure, I am able to boot that filesystem as / with
the older kernel (2.0.36).

 > Is your SCSI controller supported by that kernel?

yes, I am using the ncr53c8xx and the sym53c8xx driver
as suggested in the kernel-docs, my controller is a
NCR53C810.

/Mathias

--
(I've recent this mail because I suspected it didn't come through, if you have received 2 copied I apologize for that)

--
Mathias Jansson		    | Send a mail with Subject: %pgpkey
Teknik i Media              | for my public pgp-key