Re: Booting 2.2 gives wrong / fs

On Sun 27 Aug 2000, Mathias Jansson wrote:

> When I try booting the generic kernel (2.2.13, 2.2.15 and compaq-gen-up) from
> (MILO: boot sda1:/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.*-generic root=/dev/sda1)
> I get the following error:
> --
> You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem
>
> Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root filesystem
> --
>
> Why does it try to mount a ufs fs? My / fs is clearly an ext2 fs and so says
> my fstab. I've checked the kernel configs and they should all include ext2

The kernel can only read your fstab after it has mounted your root
filesystem, so whatever is in there is irrelevant at the time of the
error :-)

Are you sure that your root filesystem is /dev/sda1 ?
Is your SCSI controller supported by that kernel?

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/