Re: on booting 2.4.0-test7: one more time, oldconfig broken!

Well, "make oldconfig" worked on the intel.  It appears that parts
that are broken are alpha-dependent ?

>Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:59:04 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Rich Payne <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org>
>Cc: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
>

>Umm...I don't think it's fair to say it's broken. You need to remember
>that there are a whole host of different options between 2.2 and 2.4 and
>I'm not sure any ever guaranteed that make oldconfig would work across
>major revisions like that.
>
>I saw a posting somewhere saying that sound in 2.4 is just plain broken,
>regardless of arch, so YMMV.
>
>--rdp
>

>On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, James D. Freels wrote:
>

>> Apparently "make oldconfig" is broken for the alpha.  I went back and
>> examined the resulting .config and compared to the 2.2.16 .config and
>> there were at least 3 major areas that were not configured correctly:
>>
>> 1) the SRM dependence:  I manually turned this back on so I can boot
>>    from SRM
>>
>> 2) the PCI ethernet card dependence:  I manually turned this back on
>>    and my ehernet card was enabled from the previous .config
>>
>> 3) the MSS sound card dependence:  there is no place to specify the
>>    I/O, IRQ, dma, etc.  So sound was broken.
>>
>> This time I built a PC164 kernel that booted successfully and
>> everthing but sound appeared to work (including ethernet).  However,
>> it only took a few minutes of operation before the system hung on what
>> appeared to be scsi problem.  I had to perform a hard reboot.  Upon
>> reboot to my stable 2.2.16 kernel, all filesystems were checked with
>> one error fix.
>>
>> So, I think I will stop the experimentation for now.  I would like to
>> hear about some successes and any advice.
>>

>--
>Rich Payne
>rpayne@alphalinux.org			www.alphalinux.org

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.|Phone:  (865)576-8645  |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory |FAX:    (865)574-9172  | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division    |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov | F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                |home fea@ispchannel.com| I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, TN. 37831-6392     |world's best neutrons  | R | X | A |