Compiling a new kernel...

Hi,

I have successfully installed Debian 2.2 -alpha after a
stupid mistake killing my old Debian 2.1999 disk labels.
The over 300 days uptime of my alpha box has this downside
of blooming mushrooms all over both my MILO boot-disk and
the part of my memory concerning the booting up of this
system.

I have the following problems concerning compiling a new
kernel.  They might be due to aboot but I'll shoot anyway.

My system is a alphastation 500/500 (alcor).  She has this
funny setup... it has an internal hdd (sda) and an external
hdd (sdb).  All system files are in sda but the user files
are left in sdb.  SRM seem to only see sdb (as dka).

 - Is there anyway I can get SRM to see sda.  I suppose
   failing that, I'll have to place aboot in sdb.
 - If I place aboot in sdb, can I leave /boot in sda or do I
   have to move that as well?  aboot.conf seems to suggest
   knowing about partitions but not about other drives...

My other problem is about kernel compilation... Kernels
2.2.13 and below had this option for MILO or ABOOT.  My
compilation 2.2.17 seemed to be directed at MILO (is it
because I chose Alcor??) and they do not have the above
choice anymore.
 - Where do I say I want to target my kernel at aboot?

Instead, 2.2.17 introduced RAW-BOOT.  I understand that this
is a loader that is built into Linux.  Is this of any help
to me??

I would be glad if anyone can point me to some documentation
that can help...  I have tried www.alphalinux.org and did a
google search on aboot but they were of little help.

Thanks in advance...

        Just me,
        Wire ...
--