Re: anyone successful in compiling kernel 2.4.0-testx ?

Hi,
[...]
>> > make archdep
>>
>> And this worked for you?  I have been unsuccessful in
>> compiling every 2.4 test series kernel.  There are a
>> few problems as I see it using the debian kernel
>> package (which we are all meant to use :P )

Yes, this works. You may even do the 'make archdep' after the compile fails, and
re-start the compile itself.
I have tested this with 2.4.0-test6, which gave me a kernel, which runs since
about one week under *heavy* load. I have to say, that it is about 10-25%  faster
on several kernel-related issues ( fork, exec, pipes, FS-I/O, some networking
stuff ) and a little slower on mem-copies and friends. It runs *very* stable,
produces no stuck spinlocks or kernel-oopses so far.
I also compiled 2.4.0-test7 using the same method, yielding a good kernel
image. I still did not test it, since my machine is still loaded with jobs ;-)
( Yes, I wish I would have a *second* UP2000, just for poking around kernel,
glibc and GCC - I would be able to fix things then - well, unfortunately, in
Germany cash does not grow on trees, as we say ;-)

2.4.0-test6 works. If you want that too, let me see your .config, forward me
your HW-config. I will try to build a  kernel against your config, and if I
succeed, I can forward you the *exact* steps how I did it - and the kernel
image, if you like.

Besides, on my UP2000, I still use the test-cycle-3 CD-image installation.
Has anybody seen the full 3 binary CD-images for alpha of Debian 2.2 ?
I would like to upgrade to 2.2 using the CD Images as my basis instead of
doing an apt-based upgrade.

>>  1. make-kpkg clean removes arch/alpha/vmlinux.lds,
>> even if mach archdep makes it

Yes. The "normal" make clean does it as well.

>>  2. removing 'rm -f arch/alpha/vmlinux.lds' from the
>> makefile allows the compilation to proceed further,
>> but it still fails

vmlinux.lds needs to be build against your config, so make archdep needs
to be run after the make dep ; make clean cycle.

>> Any suggestions would be great since i have usb
>> devices just begging to be used

Uhm. I have never used USB - not on my PC's and never on my Alpha/.
My UP2000 uses not too many devices, just a bunch of SCSI controllers
along with serial console.

Regards,
Thomas Weyergraf