Re: help on initial install

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 02:14:00PM -0700, Ron Farrer wrote:
> James D. Freels (freelsjd@ornl.gov) wrote:
>
> > He has an AlphaBIOS system.  I just looked at the instructions myself,
> > and it looks like he was up to step 7.14 and then the "moment of
> > truth" step 7.15.  At 7.15, it would not boot.
> >
> > I have only upgraded my system from 2.1 to 2.2.  I built my initial
> > 2.1 systems from RedHat systems delivered from Microway.  So, I have
> > not built a Debian system from scratch.
> >
> > The sad thing is my friend did all this today, and he has already
> > reinstalled his RedHAT 5.2 system just to get things working again.
> > He may have already given up.  This after I had been bragging for
> > months on how great Debian 2.2 was.
> >
> > Also, I noticed several references to "slink" in the documentation.
> > I also could not find the rescue.bin and root.bin files yesterday in
> > the disks-* areas.
>
> The install instructions seem to fail to meantion that you have to
> install the boot stuff manually (someone correct me here if I'm wrong).
> What you need to do is boot like you did the first time for the install,
> but change root to be your hdd.

That's not true. If you booted via MILO, partioned your hdd with a DOS
disklabel and left a small partition at the beginning of the hdd (type set to
DOS) as suggested by the instructions the 'make linux bootable from hdd' step
will format the first partition and install linload and milo there.

David (dhd) did a terrific job on the alpha boot disks ;-)

Nothing to do manually.

					Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de