Re: help on initial install

James D. Freels (freelsjd@ornl.gov) wrote:

> A colleague just tried to install Debian 2.2/Alpha via network install
> option.  It worked fine up until the question of "booting from hard
> disk".  At this point (I assume similar to lilo on the Intel), it
> caused the system to be unbootable.
>
> Has an initial install been debugged for the Alpha.  Are the online
> instructions complete?

Which firmware does it have? There are different things that need to be
done for the two main types. Is it ARC/ARCS/AlphaBIOS or SRM?

For ARC/ARCS/AlphaBIOS you boot via MILO (Alpha version of lilo). In the
case you need to leave a small (2MB or so) FAT16 partition on the drive
for MILO and linload (and ldmilo if ARCS).

If it is SRM then you boot via aboot. You need to leave space at the
begining of the drive for it (one cylinder).

Install instructions can be found at:
<http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/alpha/install.en.html>

HTH,

Ron