Re: floppy disk

Andrew MacNamara (am1129@albany.edu) wrote:

> The old PC is just parts from an old 486/motherboard/case
> etc. Unfortunately no floppy disk drive :(

Ahh bummer. Well maybe you could borrow one from some place else?

> (I'm surprised too... but NT is just what's there. I cracked the local
> admin password -- surprisingly easy with nt 3.51 -- and then booted just
> to make sure it worked.)

Just to verify this is a 164LX-based motherboard, right? There are a few
other old non-Linux friendly Alphas that have "LX" in the model name.

> I tried the cable from the 486, and that showed the same problems. I'm
> going to post a description of the cables I used (i.e. where the twist is,
> etc.) when I get home tonight. I hope it is the floppy drive too... Though
> once I get potato installed and bootable from the HD, it shouldn't be much
> of a problem. Maybe I'll just temporarily swap drives out of my
> AS200; I have to reinstall that box anyway.

You could probably "borrow" the floppy drive out of the AS200 and try
it and also the cable.

> Just in case, though, is there such a thing as an ISA based floppy
> controller card that I could use instead of the motherboard controller?

There are ISA floppy controllers, but I have no idea if they will work
in an Alpha and with Linux.

Ron