Re: floppy disk

Andrew MacNamara (am1129@albany.edu) wrote:

> I'm having problems getting the floppy on my XL to work. I took it apart
> before, and I completely took the cabling out and everything. The floppy
> cable that's in there has a direction notch on it (so it's harder to put
> it on wrong), but the floppy drive doesn't have a border around its
> connector, so I can put the cable in either way.
>
> When I put it in one way, the drive light never comes on at all.
>
> When I put it in the other way, the drive light comes on when the system
> boots up, and it stays on -- it never goes off.
>
> In both cases, NT boots fine, I can log on etc. but I can never access the
> floppy drive. It shows the thing as working properly in NT's device
> thingy, and in the ARC console it detects it as a removable drive either
> way I put the cable.
>
> My guess is that the drive's bad, but maybe it's the floppy controller? I
> don't know-- anyone with experience in this type of thing?
>
> Oh, and I tried it with another floppy cable from an old PC as well.

Well you could take the floppy out of the "old PC" and try it. If it
works then you know it is the original drive. If it doesn't work then it
could be the controller. AFAIK the controller for the 164LX is onboard
so hopefully that is NOT the problem. Since you don't get any errors
from NT (surprise!) it might be that the controller is ok but the floppy
or cable is toast. $10 or so for a new floppy drive is a lot cheaper
then replacing the motherboard.

HTH,

Ron