Re: upgrade option

On Thu 03 Aug 2000, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> No need to look for a special option to upgrade a package :-)  You only
> need to do this:
> 	dpkg -i <package_filename>
>
> If the package was previously installed, dpkg will know this and upgrade
> the relevent files.  Unlike RedHat (and derivatives), just installing a
> package doesn't replace every file, especially not the configuration

Argh, rpm is really that stupid that you have to tell it when it's
upgrading?!  I'm __so__ glad the debian alpha port was already usable
(although it wasn't "release-ready for more than a year, and still better
than the RH product) when I first got my alpha, and had fought with the
RH install for a month :-)

Imagine what RH users will think of "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"
:-)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/