Re: upgrade option

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Paul Slootman wrote:

> Argh, rpm is really that stupid that you have to tell it when it's
> upgrading?!

Yep.  Worst thing is, it's still not guaranteed that it won't replace
configuration files upon "upgrade".

> I'm __so__ glad the debian alpha port was already usable
> (although it wasn't "release-ready for more than a year, and still better
> than the RH product) when I first got my alpha, and had fought with the
> RH install for a month :-)

Hehehe...yeah, it kinda sucked when I first came into it.  At the time, we
were still patching dpkg to get it to compile :-)  And I won't give the
history on gcc.... :-)

> Imagine what RH users will think of "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"
> :-)

I'm *still* trying to find a good way of upgrading a RedHat
installation.  At my last job, I hated the thought so much that I was
trying to convert them to Debian rather than attempt an upgrade of the
existing machines.