Re: how to make a patch file

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Stefano Curtarolo wrote:

> I did a supersmall modification in a driver of version 2.4.0.
> I would like to submit the patch to other users so they can test
> if it works. I have 2 big directories:
> kernel-source-2.4.0-test4
> and
> kernel-source-2.4.0-test4-patched
> How can I do the patch file ???

To make a unified diff for the overall tree, type:
	diff -ruN kernel-source-2.4.0-test4 \
	kernel-source-2.4.0-test4-patched > kernel.diff

This will output a unified format diff to the file 'kernel.diff'.  Make
sure both trees are clean and/or identical otherwise or you'll be editing
your diff quite a bit to clean out cruft.

What kind of modification did you make, and to what driver?  FYI, test4 is
a bit outdated now, so if it was an obvious bug fix, it might have been
superceded by now...