Re: login.defs + su

> On Jul 20, Michael Stroucken scratched in indelible ink :

> 	Doing some investigation, I found that in /etc/login.defs the
> environment variable HZ is being set to 100 where it says it should be
> 1024 on the alpha. Is that of any importance?

Personally I don't know what that env var does.  I have jsut done a fresh
install of potato (it went *extremely* cleanly :) ) and my install also had
the HZ=100 set.   It did not prevent root from su-ing to any user though ....

/Aside, after the reboot, nearing the end of the install process where
debinstall tries to configure apt, I had a helluva time trying to get out of
it.  (I really don't like dselect, and have always configured apt manually
/outside/ of any config scripts.  I got frustrated after selecting cancel
repeatedly and getting returned to the "do you want to uninstall PCMCIA
support?".
This is probably more a question for the boot-floppies people, but is it
possible to get a 'drop to shell' option, or put in the INSTALL-howto a
description on how to avoid having to work out how to bomb out?
(I did eventually get back to a shell, but have no idea how I did it.)

/Jp..
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy