Multia/MSS/CD question

Hello, all-

I believe that I've managed to get the sound set up on my Multia
(/dev/sndstat looks good, and throwing files at /dev/dsp makes
noise), but CD players don't make any noise.  ISTR that a CD-ROM
drive needs a dedicated line to the sound card, but the PDF manual
is light on details about the MSS (unless I missed something), so
I was wondering whether (a) there is a connector for such a line,
or, (b), if there is a way to pull audio data over the SCSI bus
and then do something useful with it.

I am also prepared to accept the (distinct) possibility that I
should simply get a grip and listen to CDs on my discman, but
where would be the fun in that?

David