RE: UP1000 HW Nightmare!

Sounds like your system is set up to use the SRM bootup. Problem is the only
way you can see what is going on with SRM, so as to configure your system,
is to plug an old VT-100 console into the system's serial port (or use
another machine's VT100 console and have a null-modem serial cable plugged
into the alpha and other machine). *SRM does not display through the
system's video card* !!

My eb164 was using the NT ARC, which gives a nice blue startup console
through the video card, when through monkey-inquisitiveness I changed it to
SRM console. Luckily one of the unix guys at work had a VT100 console, and
it didn't take me *too* long to figure out if it was using 7,8 bits, the
parity settings, etc so I could switch it back to NT ARC.

Read through the following to get an idea of what is going on:

at http://www.alphalinux.org, read the following links:

MILO howto (http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/milo.html)
SRM howto (http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/srm.html)
and possibly AlphaBIOS howto