Alpha (Multia) - NFS server

Hi -

We've just moved our Solaris file server over to an Alpha box
running the potato release. Other than a few teething problems
(that were to be expected) everything seemed to be fine until
last week. The server froze completely and had to be rebooted. On
reboot their were no messages in the system logs that point to
any nasty errors that could have caused the problem. I put this
down to running X with an old SVGA card that may not actually be
supported by the Alpha (Permedia 2) that eventually caused the
freeze.

However, this week cvs/ssh/samba requests started to block. After
checking on the server the only thing that could point to this
was a lot of 'NFS: task XXXX can't get request slot' messages in
the logs (some of the cvs roots/home drives etc are served via
NFS). The network load appears to be normal and the server itself
was fairly idle. Once these messages start occuring the server
seems to go off on a spiral of death and can only be resurrected
by a reboot.

After checking around on the kernel lists/NFS howtos etc it seems
that the way forward might be to try the kernel nfs daemon, knfsd
instead of the nfs-server package. I was wondering if anyone has
had much success with this on an Alpha and whether its up to
running on a production machine? Any other ideas would be
appreciated..

Thanks

Marcus

--