Re: How to install Netscape for debian.

David Hocking (dhocking@ihug.com.au) wrote:

> I am fairly new to linux and alphas, but have managed so far to install
> Debian slink and compile a 2.2.14 kernel.
>
> Firstly the web browsers that were installed when i first installed slink do
> not work too well. Arena seems to download web pages but does not show
> anything on the screen. Gozilla works ok, but disappears (closes) at random
> times.
>
> I would like to install the newly released Netscape but don't know how. I
> have the .rpm file and have converted it to .deb but i can't seem to get it
> to work. Is there somewhere i can get step by step instructions to install
> netscape for debian (alpha)?
>
> Is there libraries i need to do this? How do i get and install these
> libraries?

You used alien to convert it to a deb, correct? Did you use the "-c"
flag? After you do (if you haven't already) you need to be in "/" to
peform the install. i.e. "alien -d -k -c netscape-4.7-1.alpha.rpm" then
"cd /" and as root "dpkg -i netscape_4.7-1_alpha.deb" (In that last
command you'll need to specify the full path to the deb". As was
reported by someone else, you need to be in the root dir to perform the
installation because of how terrible the rpm's scripts are.

HTH,

Ron
--
=  Ronald Burnett Farrer  =