Tried to install Mozilla but broke slink instead.

I'm new to Debian and alphas, but have Slink running on a DEC Multia and
have successfully compiled a 2.2.14 kernel.

I desparately need a working web browser and a decent word processor or else
i will have to get rid of Linux / Multia and get something i'm more familiar
with as i'm pushed for time.

I new it would be risky but after failing to find a working web browser i
tried to install the unstable Mozilla.

So now when i boot up it goes through the usual stuff untill it says
"starting x display manager". It then shows the text login prompt briefly
(less than a second)  before the screen goes blank.

The following unstable packages were updated or installed along with
Mozilla:

libncurses5, libgtk1.2, libglib1.2, cpp
gcc, libc6.1, libnspr3, gcov-modules
zliblg, xlib6g, liborbit0, libstdc++2.10, binutils
mesag3, xpm4g

The following originals were removed:

timezones, libstdc++2.9-dev, libc6.1-dev, g++,
mesag-dev, aalibl-dev, libncurses4-dev

Is there some way of fixing my system without reinstalling everything.

Like i said, I just would like to have a working system with a decent web
browser and word processor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

David Hocking.