Networking problems with 2.2 kernel and potato

Because Debian on Alpha doesn't work very well with the 2.0 kernel (at
least on my Miata type machine), I upgraded to 2.2.  The problems included
the known init issue as well as multiple X things.  The libncurses4
problem is nothing to sneeze at either, but at least it's managable. Also,
I'm running a fairly minimal unstable (woody, now?) dist-upgraded from the
slink base.

But neither the stock 2.2.13 nor the 2.2.14 I build myself seems to work
with the ethernet, though 2.0 did.  I cannot contact any IPs other than
127.0.0.1. Has anyone else had this problem?  Could someone give me some
ideas?  When displaying the routing tables with the route command, it
hangs after showing localnet. And the card is recognized and everything on
bootup. (It's a tulip.) Thanks.