Re: FW: Slink kernel compilation

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Martin Lucina wrote:

> rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org said:
> >
> > Yes, because if you start MILO from SRM, then the kernel is actually
> > started from MILO not SRM. So that makes sense (in some strange way).
> >
> > Can I ask why you are starting MILO from SRM and not just started Linux
> > directly (with the help of aboot)? Just curious.
>
> I would think it is because aboot is the "even worse than worse" documented
> of the two. Also, most (all) distributions use MILO to load the kernel no
> matter what you are booting from, so users tend to stick with that.

OK, so what's missing from the documentation? I'm currently the SRM Howto
maintainer and I'd be more than happy to improve the info on using aboot.

As for most (all) distributions....I can't by that one, sorry. I know both
RedHat and SuSE boot directly from SRM to the kernel (using aboot).

> And last but not least, SRM has a substantially larger memory footprint
> than MILO, so people low on memory may not want to use it.

Yeah, OK, I can see that one. However going with SRM does give you other
benefits (usually more up to date PALcode etc...).

--rdp

> --
> Martin Lucina http://www.kotelna.sk/mato/ Wellington, New Zealand
> I've always been mad I know I've been mad like the most of us are
> Pretty hard to explain why you're a madman even if you're not mad

Rich Payne
rpayne@alphalinux.org			www.alphalinux.org