Re: Headless install on LX164

Greg Johnson wrote:

> Ok, I just had a look.  The console device on the root floppy looks
> like:
>
> $ ls -l console
> crw-r--r--    2 root     root       4,   0 Mar  7  1999 console
>
> This is normal for a 2.0.x kernel, I believe.  Kernel 2.2.x has the
> ability to use the serial console as the console by passing
> "console=ttyS0" on the boot command line.  For this to work, the console
> should have major number 5 and minor number 0.  I do not believe this
> works with 2.0.x.

Hmm, I have a 2.2 kernel from the Northern Linux install (RedHat derivative) and
just tried that console=ttyS0 boot line option, but no success, same "unable to
open an initial console". :-(

> To get a serial console with 2.0.x you need to make
> /dev/console a symlink to the appropriate serial device, like:
>
> $ ls -l console
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 Nov 28 19:37 console -> ttyS0
>
> Since the installation disks use 2.0.x you need the latter approach,
> unless you use a different kernel.
>
> root1440.bin is a compressed ext2 filesystem image.  In order to mount
> it, you need to uncompress it and mount it via loopback.  Once you have
> it mounted, you can make changes, then unmount it and recompress it.  I
> have prepared a root1440.bin.serial which should work for 2.0.x
> kernels.  It is available at:
>
> ftp://physics.clarku.edu/users/gjohnson/root1440.bin.serial

Slurped through real slow download (~45 minutes, and I have a 10 Mbps connection!),
made the disk, and...

IT WORKED!!  Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!  I haven't finished installing yet
(it's real slow on an ancient Tek 4207 terminal where I have to slog through the
VT220-related errors), but I got through disk partitioning and it's looking good!

"Let me buy you a drink!  Let me buy you a whole fleet of drinks!!" -Londo Mollari
in Signs and Portents

But seriously, Greg, I owe you big time.

This serial console image would be a great addition to the install floppies!

I'll post again if the whole install comes through, and if not, then I guess I'll
post again anyway... :-)

Zeen,

            Adam Powell                    http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
            Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering
            77 Massachusetts Ave. Rm. 4-117        Phone (617) 452-2086
            Cambridge, MA 02139 USA                  Fax (617) 253-5418