Re: AS255: UW SCSI, sound, video, kernel

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 10:09:08PM -0400, Jay.Estabrook@digital.com wrote:

> > Now, to the subject: I'd like to buy an UW or U2W controller and
> > a reasonable (price-wise) disk.
> > Unless I get strong evidence against it, I'm going for a Tekram
> > 390U2B, an ultra 2 wide LVD controller based on Symbios 53C895,
> > which I suppose should work perfectly on my Alpha (a Diamond
> > Fireport 20 with a 53C875 works very well). By the way, it costs
> > less than many ultra wide controllers.
> > I'd like to receive some advice on this. In particular, the
> > Tekram 395W (ultra wide) is interesting, but I think it is
> > unsupported even for i386.
>
> Be very careful; it's possible that the console (SRM or ARC) will not work
> with such a controller (U2W), though it's a much better possiblity with the
> NCR than with an Adaptec. See if you can borrow one to find out, first. If
> not, it's possible that the latest firmware for AS255 might help.

I'm afraid borrowing one is not an option in my case :(
However, what I really need is just that SRM does not _conflict_ with
it. I don't need to boot from the new controller; it wouldn't hurt,
however.
With the '875J SRM simply detects it as PCI id 1000/800f and doesn't
try any initialization. Linux detects it correctly; I haven't tried
attaching devices. I will.

> TGA-2 is not supported under XFree86, or the commercial LINUX Xservers,
> AFAIK.  It is not compatible with the orignal TGA.  It has a VGA (CIRRUS)
> for console text-mode, which can be run with the Mono server, but the full
> CIRRUS support in XFree86 has not been ported, and there's only 256K of
> memory, IIRC.

I supposed something like this. It is a pity. :-(

> Best cards for current Xservers would be a Millennium, ATI, or Permedia-2.
> Also, a 3Dfx Banshee/V3 server is in beta; I've a 16Mb Banshee that I picked
> up for USD $80 (!) that runs quite well... :-)

I tried an ET6000. SRM behaves badly, but MILO and Linux
initialize it correctly. I haven't tried X.

> Good luck.

Thank you.

Ciao, William