Re: strange memory allocation

>On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 03:47:25AM -0500, Luke Shulenburger wrote:
>  Unless all programs are swapping, Linux loaded the memory to the max to
>  optize the performance. As long as no (other) program claims memory, the
>  information is still stored in memory.

It would also be a good idea to run 'vmstat 5' (or some other time value,
like 30) and watch the "si" and "so" fields, while you're not actively
using the system.  If they stay at zero, then you aren't having a swapping
problem.

vmstat is overall a pretty good tool for troubleshooting memory problems.
There is a utility called procinfo, part of the sysutils package, that is
like vmstat on steroids.

Good luck, and I hope that you find there is not really a problem. :)

Shawn