Re: 2 SCSI cards

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, James Simmons wrote:

>   I have a Alpha Server 1000 233/4. It came with a 2 Gig driver and has a
> built in NCR53C7 SCSI card. Well this card only supports 50 Pin SCSI. I
> tried to add a WD 9 Gig UW SCSI 3 driver. So I add a Adpatec Card to
> support this new drive. Now before I added the card the machine booted
> fine. After I add the card I would get to the MILO boot prompt but when I
> would try to boot with boot=sdb1:/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 then all it was
> chek teh devices then it would return right back to the MILO prompt. Even
> when I tried to boot right from the floopy it still gave me the same
> results. Only once did it boot and then when I tried a fdisk on the new
> drive it would lock the machine hard. Has anyone have a similar problem
> and found a solution?

Out of curiosity, have you recompiled your kernel to support the new card?
I know, dumb question, but I've forgotten such details in the past
(blush).  Also, I've heard of oddities when running more than one SCSI
card in Alphas when more than one manufacturer is involved.  Any way of
adding your old drive to the chain with the new one on the new card and
just omitting the ncr support from the kernel?

Oh, also a good thing to do is get MILO and ARC to display the installed
devices (ARC has a menu item and MILO should take a 'show' and display
things).  Make sure both are reporting ok.

BTW, do you have 32- and 64-bit PCI slots in your AS1000?  If so, make
sure you put the new card into a 64-bit slot since I've heard of past
problems with 32-bit PCI slots and linux in some of the AS models.

Lastly, read through the Adaptec driver source a bit and make sure that
you don't need any special parameters passed through the boot command
line.

Let me know what you find out...