2 SCSI cards

Hi.

  I have a Alpha Server 1000 233/4. It came with a 2 Gig driver and has a
built in NCR53C7 SCSI card. Well this card only supports 50 Pin SCSI. I
tried to add a WD 9 Gig UW SCSI 3 driver. So I add a Adpatec Card to
support this new drive. Now before I added the card the machine booted
fine. After I add the card I would get to the MILO boot prompt but when I
would try to boot with boot=sdb1:/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 then all it was
chek teh devices then it would return right back to the MILO prompt. Even
when I tried to boot right from the floopy it still gave me the same
results. Only once did it boot and then when I tried a fdisk on the new
drive it would lock the machine hard. Has anyone have a similar problem
and found a solution?

                                                     Thank You
                                                     James Simmons