Re: MILO. now it boots - but ...

On Friday,  4 Jun, Nathan P. Hawkins III wrote:
> The rest of what you need to know is in the SRM Howto. The main thing to
> watch out for is that minlabel and fdisk will show BSD-style partition
> names /dev/sd0a, but Linux will still use /dev/sda1. That, and make sure
> to leave 1-2M for aboot.

Why that much?  Aboot is less than 100k.  However, given that it is very
hard to enlarge the first partition on the disk, it may make sense to
allow half a megabyte just in case.  For example, to retain the
possibility to replace aboot with something else.

> This configuration is the only one I've used (on i386 or alpha) where it's
> possible to change kernels simply by changing a symlink, and rebooting!

On Alpha, MILO can also be used in this manner.

Nikita