running DEC binaries

I am trying to run a Dec native binary on alphalinux.  i get the error
message

getadr:  ioctl SIOCGIFCONF: Invalid argument
Couldn't locate your Ethernet device
ERROR: could not connect to NameServer.

i am running RH 5.2 with the 2.2.7 kernel. i have all the dec libraries,
and networking is working fine.  i have a pc164 which i am dual booting
linux and dux.  I think what is happening is that the application is
looking to one of the dec libraries for information on the ethernet card
and the library can't find that information.  My question is, does
anyone know a good way of faking that information?

thanks

-red