Re: Upgrade instructions

"George A. Dowding" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am considering doing an upgrade from slink to potato.  What is the procedure
> for doing this?

First edit /etc/apt/sources.list changing "stable" to either "potato" or
"unstable", the former if you want to stick with potato through its release
(when it becomes stable), the latter if you want to always have the latest
bleeding edge Debian.  Also, the non-us line format has changed, replace "stable
non-US" with "potato/non-US main contrib non-free" (or unstable).

Next, I use the following just to be safe:

apt-get update
apt-get install apt
apt-get install bash
dselect

and Select and Install in dselect.

HTH,

          Adam Powell                     http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
          Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering
          77 Massachusetts Ave. Rm. 4-117         Phone (617) 452-2086
          Cambridge, MA 02139 USA                   Fax (617) 253-5418