Debian 2.1 Alpha dbootstrap skipping installation steps

Here's more detail on my problem with dbootstrap skipping steps during
install to a Dec AlphaServer 1000 4/266. The boot disk is from "mikasa" on
my Deb2.1 cdrom:
		 Volume in drive E is Debian-alpha 2.1
		 Volume Serial Number is F08E-5564
		 Directory of
E:\dists\slink\main\disks-alpha\1999-03-05\mikasa
     		 03-06-99  07:03a             1,474,560 resc1440.bin

Booting from SRM:
>>>boot dva0 -flags i
MILO> boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1
. . . k e r n e l   b o o t s . . .
. . . dbootstrap menus . . .
. . . partitions formatted: /dev/sda1 is msdos (eventually for Milo?)
	                      /dev/sda2 is swap
                            /dev/sda3 is Linux
  "Install Operating System Kernel and Modules"
	/dev/scd0/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-alpha/1999-03-05/mikasa
  "Install Base"
		/dev/scd0/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-alpha/1999-03-05
  "Configure Device Driver Modules"
error: "Broken loop device detected, copying drv1440.bin to local before
processing..."
		... bad superblock on device /dev/loop0  (the complete msg
is blocked)

After this, dbootstrap just wants to "Next: Reboot the System" (which fails,
if I try it).  If I select "Configure Device Driver Modules" again, it just
flashes a screen, and
then returns to the "Next: Reboot the System".  From console2, I can see the
new /target system (including vmlinuz & vmlinuz.old kernels).

Does anyone on the list think it might work if I build & use the 8
installation diskettes instead of the cdrom?

I also saw the reply from Phil Oleson about configuring the modules
manually; I don't know how to do that, but if anyone can provide more
detail, I'd sure like to try it.