Re: kernel sources for alpha? (Re: Not detecting SCSI drive)

Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > Looks like perhaps I should turn off Symbios NVRAM detection and
> > try again?
> It's possible.  That is an extremely odd problem and one I've never seen
> (have a Tekram 390F with two Barracudas and a CD-ROM).  Turning off the
> NVRAM detection *might* work, but YMMV.  Have you booted the card on a
> i386 and do anything strange during the setup?  With mine, the defaults
> were fine, but again YMMV.
> Keep me (and the list) posted on this.  It's the first time I've ever seen
> this kind of problem with an 875-based board.

The problem went away by passing the kernel option
`ncr53c8xx=nvram:n' at the MILO prompt.

Constantine Vetoshev wrote:

> Have you tried the SYM53C8XX driver instead? I believe it's a newer
> version of the code used in the NCR53C8XX.

I'm upgrading to potato now, but promise to try to compile
another kernel afterwards to try this as well.

Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
P.O. Box 1000, Mont-Joli Qc, G5H 3Z4 Canada. 418-775-0852 FAX: 775-0546
    6623'rd GNU/Linux user at the Counter - http://counter.li.org/