Re: kernel sources for alpha? (Re: Not detecting SCSI drive)

On Wed 15 Sep 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

>  1- Try 2.0.36, simply changing ARCH=alpha in the Makefile after
>     configuration?
>
>  2- After installing a minimal slink, do a dist-upgrade to potato
>     and try 2.2.12?  (Probably easier than find all slink
>     packages I'd have to upgrade in order to run 2.2.12)
>
> It that it?  Number one sounds easy as a first shot.

Note that to upgrade to potato, it is recommended to FIRST upgrade
to kernel 2.2.x (i.e. 2.2.12). I had all sorts of strange problems
when upgrading slink -> potato with the 2.0.36 kernel;  e.g. the
date as returned by the date command was all over the place in January
and February 1970 (!)

Slink is basically capable of running 2.2.x kernels. Only things like
lsof might be a problem.

So, I'd recommend:

3- Try 2.2.12, and if that works OK, do a dist-upgrade to potato.

I recommend to first install sash, login to a spare screen as root and
start sash. Do the upgrade on another screen. If anything gets screwed
during the upgrade, sash is a shell that has all sorts of stuff built-in
(it's a static binary as well), so you can fix it. In severe times you
can do "boot /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 init=/bin/sash" :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/