Re: statically linked gzip?

On Mon 13 Sep 1999, Luke Shulenburger wrote:

> gzip: error in loading shared libraries: gzip: symbol
> __register_frame_info, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1
> with link time reference
>
> I am getting this error message any time I try to use gzip or dpkg.  i'm a

Oops, gzip depends on an old libc, but you can't unpack a new gzip
because that's gzipped ...

> tad bit worried right now because I know that my kernel is a gzipped file
> so I don't want to reboot.  Does anyone happen to have a statically linked

Don't worry about the kernel, it most certainly doesn't use /bin/gzip
to unpack itself!

> gzip or a suggestion of another way I could fix my little problem?

Do you perchance have sash installed? Anyone on the bleeding edge
should; it's invaluable when encountering lib problems. It's a shell
that is statically linked with tons of commands builtin (including
gzip!). I always start it on a spare console screen before attempting
any upgrading of unstable.

If you need it I could send /bin/sash to you via email
(I'll try to remember not to compress it first :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/