statically linked gzip?

Hello,
I am running potato on an LX and tonight I fired up apt to get the latest
snapshot (as I do from time to time) of the unstable tree.  Only tonight I
encountered some nasty looking errors.  apt-get crashed and burned with a
message that I unfortunately did not copy down, so I ran it again and it
got a little further.  It then crashed with the following message:

gzip: error in loading shared libraries: gzip: symbol
__register_frame_info, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1
with link time reference

I am getting this error message any time I try to use gzip or dpkg.  i'm a
tad bit worried right now because I know that my kernel is a gzipped file
so I don't want to reboot.  Does anyone happen to have a statically linked
gzip or a suggestion of another way I could fix my little problem?

Thanks in advance,
Luke Shulenburger
(sluke@mit.edu)