Re: XFree86...

Ron Farrer <rbf@magnesium.net> writes:

> > how much video-RAM does your card have and is it correctly detected?
> > Check the output of the server and if your memory isn't detected
> > properly, then set it via the vidmem= directive in /etc/XF86Config

> Minor change in what I said before, I like 800 x 600 better. It still only
> works in 8bpp, though. I reran xf86config and only selecated 800 x 600 for
> all the video modes, but ctrl alt + does not change between modes.

ah, /me thinks you want to change between 8bpp and more by the C-A-+
key-combo. Sorry to say so, but that won't work; you cannot change
display depth on the fly. You need to either call
startx -- -bpp 24

or change the order of the display sections in your XF86Config file. I
know next to nothing about the config utilities; just do that by hand,
the ssyntax is obvious

> It has 2MB WRAM. I do not know if it is properly detected or not because
> it scrolls by too fast (startx|more doesn't work :( I checked

Yup, output is on stderr not on stdout ;-) you could have done
startx >& /tmp/blurb
and later
less /tmp/blurb

> /etc/X11/XF86Config and the video ram was commented out, so I removed the
> pound and tried it again, but still only 8bpp, which is getting kind of
> annoying...

see above...

HTH,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows