Re: UDB -> new kernel

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Zygo Blaxell wrote:

> Did you actually get slink to install successfully on your UDB?
>
> I have a UDB that used to run Red Hat.  I tried to install slink on it
> a few weeks ago and found that it didn't work at all (dpkg got alignment
> exceptions and then crashed).
>
> I'm wondering if Slink works on UDB at all, or if my _particular_ UDB is
> just broken.  I don't have a Red Hat CD to try it with any more.  :-(

Yes, it works very well.  In fact, it was probably the easiest
installation I've ever done on an alpha.  I already had an older
installation of The Other Distribution on it (and was very happy to get
rid of it), so all I had to do was boot to the MILO I already had on
the first HD, tell MILO to boot the CD, and off it went.  In case it
matters, I used cheapo CDs from Linux Central a few weeks after slink was
officially released.

If your sda1 is still intact, and still has a usable MILO on it, you might
try something similar; it avoids the horrors of floppy disks.

John Chapman        hannes@eskimo.com       hannes@pop.nwnexus.com