Re: UDB -> new kernel

>On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 Oliver.Kowalke@freudenberg.de wrote:
>> I recompiled a new Kernel (2.2.12) on my UDB with Debian 2.1. I put

Did you actually get slink to install successfully on your UDB?

I have a UDB that used to run Red Hat.  I tried to install slink on it
a few weeks ago and found that it didn't work at all (dpkg got alignment
exceptions and then crashed).

I'm wondering if Slink works on UDB at all, or if my _particular_ UDB is
just broken.  I don't have a Red Hat CD to try it with any more.  :-(

>> "vmlinuz.gz" to the root "/" . If I try to boot the kernel with Milo with
>>
>> 	"boot sda3:vmlinuz.gz root=/dev/sda3"
>>
>> The system sets the Devices up and displays the deviding line and then hangs
>> (nothing happens) -> no output / boot messages.

Been there, done that.  I generally solved the problem by compiling
different kernel versions.  I haven't tried 2.2.12 myself, but I made a
2.2.x for x < 4 work once with Red Hat.

Your MILO boot line looks OK though, assuming that your kernel really is
on /dev/sda3, sda3 is a MSDOS or ext2 filesystem, and there really is a
file named vmlinuz.gz.  I don't know if symlinks work or not, you might
want to check that.

>> I'm not familiar with installing kernels on Alphas. On x86 - systems I have
>> to instruct LILO with "/sbin/lilo" but what on Alphas.
>> Can somebody tell me the steps for installation or how to keep the new
>> kernel booting?

MILO and LILO are very different beasts.

LILO has two parts:  a very smart "map installer", /sbin/lilo, which
you run every time you install a new kernel or change /etc/lilo.conf,
and a very dumb "boot loader", which is located in your boot sector.
The map installer creates a table (usually /boot/map) which contains a
list of the raw sector numbers where the kernel is located.  The boot
loader is tiny (a few hundred bytes) and cannot do anything but copy raw
sectors from the hard drive into memory using BIOS routines.  The first
stage boot loader loads the second stage boot loader (again, by directly
accessing the sectors on the hard disk where it's located), and the
second stage boot loader loads a larger map file and the kernel image.

MILO starts life as a NT3.51/Alpha executable loaded by
the UDB's ARC BIOS (a UDB has two parts to its BIOS:  the
small-white-text-on-black-background command-line SRM bios, which boots
OpenVMS, OSF/1, and Linux; and the large-white-text-on-a-blue-background
menu-driven ARC bios, which boots Windows NT and Linux).  MILO contains
a lot of Linux kernel code, enough to read MS-DOS, ext2, and ISO9660
(cd-rom) filesystems, and enough to read CD-ROMs, floppies, and hard
disks.  MILO has a built in 'ls' command, and can boot any file with
any arguments from a Linux filesystem if you just provide it with the
file name.

The fundamental difference is that MILO is large, so it can read an
arbitrary filesystem directly and load a kernel from it as long as you
know the filename, while LILO is small, so it can't read the filesystem
directly and has to follow a trail of breadcrumbs left by /sbin/lilo
when you installed the kernel.

--
I don't speak for Corel, I just work for them.  Use zygob@corel.ca for work,
zblaxell@furryterror.org for play, and zblaxell@feedme.hungrycats.org for PGP.