Re: kernel upgrade

2.2.11 has a serious tcp memory leak, has some sort of tcp related problems
talking to solaris 7 (described as a 'food fight', which doesn't sound good), a
problem with some Symbios '876 chips not being correctly detected, and some
sort of problem with driver for a 'Surfboard 1000'.

I guess one possibility would be 2.2.11 + the fixes found at
http://www.uk.linux.org/VERSION/relnotes.2211.html.

Note that there are other things is 2.2.12 which we need - in particular the
bug in the floppy driver which bites after 49+ days (I've hit this one a few
times - it's a jiffy counter wrapping problem). On the other hand the 2.2.12
release notes also have this:

Known Bugs
On the Alpha platform we know the new maths code currently fails some glibc
maths checks. The Alpha port people are looking into this. Expect patches soon.

so maybe we should avoid this.

I would guess we should either go for a 2.2.11 base, plus the four fixes on the
release notes page, and then pick up the floppy driver patch from 2.2.12, or
wait for 2.2.13.

Cheers,

	David