UDB -> new kernel

Hi,

I recompiled a new Kernel (2.2.12) on my UDB with Debian 2.1. I put
"vmlinuz.gz" to the root "/" . If I try to boot the kernel with Milo with

	"boot sda3:vmlinuz.gz root=/dev/sda3"

The system sets the Devices up and displays the deviding line and then hangs
(nothing happens) -> no output / boot messages.

I'm not familiar with installing kernels on Alphas. On x86 - systems I have
to instruct LILO with "/sbin/lilo" but what on Alphas.
Can somebody tell me the steps for installation or how to keep the new
kernel booting?

thx,

Oliver