__data_start symbol missing from alpha ELF... (fwd)

FYI...ran into this while trying to get libgc4 to work on Alpha...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Christopher C Chimelis <chris@classnet.med.miami.edu>
To: libc-alpha@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: __data_start symbol missing from alpha ELF...

Hi again...

Hate to be a pain, but while trying to get GC to compile (Boehm garbage
collector), I noticed that the 2.1.2pre versions of
sysdeps/alpha/elf/start.S don't define a symbol for the start of the data
segment.  This is causing problems with the GC since it needs to have a
symbol for the beginning of the data segment (or an address, which in this
case is variable).  I also noticed that other archs had a weak alias for
this (arm, powerpc, i386, mips, m68k) in sysdeps/{arch}/elf/start.S, but
Alpha did not.  I was wondering if this can either be fixed or if there
were some reason that I'm not aware of that this wasn't included.

Any help you can give me is appreciated :-)  FYI, without this, I cannot
include the gc in libobjc (from gcc 2.95.1pre) and would just like to know
what I'm up against.

Thanks!!!!