Re: AS200 4/100 install if fd0 not available?

OK, got all that.  I've seen the SRM-HOWTO, but don't recall the
network boot info being in it.  That explains why it doesn't work,
I don't have an alpha linux box to compile a network-bootable
aboot/kernel with.  Can I do it with an i386 system?  I've
been looking over the 2.1 CDs and it's not clear what off the
source CD would even need to be loaded.  I've not done any
kernel builds (successfully, anyway) under linux yet, either.

I can't boot off the sdb1 drive, either, since nothing on it
will get aboot running initially.  The only aboot prompt comes
from running the resc14400.bin off the bin CD.

Anyone know where I can get an aboot/avanti kernel ready-made
for network booting?

> >Hmmm...learned something there...the first digit points to a partition.
> Yes.
>
> >0 ==> scd0
> No 0=no file system on that device (special case).
>
> >1 ==> sda1
> >2 ==> sda2
> Yep.
>
> >However, it won't recognize boot/avanti/linux, even though that will boot
> >from the SRM console.
> >
> >Any my newer images are on sdb1, which doesn't seem to be amenable to
> >any number.  8+ ==> sda9 (which doesn't even exist).
> Yes (aha). The partitions are per disk. Which disk you used to boot from is
> given in the SRM-variable boot_dev. aboot is per disk (AFAIK).
>
> I'm appending the SRM-HOWTO, since it explains the special cases and
> explains it better than I do.
>
> David

[Attachment, skipping...]

Michael Watson       DEC Unix Systems Administrator
U.S. Coast Guard Aircraft Repair and Support Center
CGAS Elizabeth City, NC  mjwatson@snafu.livenet.net