Re: installation of Compaq Fortran

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:

> I'd like to make a few observations about the install:
>
> There is a problem with the postinstall scripts for the cpml-ev*
> packages, in that they (well I don't know about ev6, I have ev5,
> of course) do not generate the libcpml.so: I tried also to
> download the corresponding rpm and regenerate the deb from it
> using alien. Then I looked at the rpm and did what the script was
> supposed to do by hand.
>
> Is this one a problem with alien or something different?

Yes and no.  When I initially generated the debs, I missed a step that, as
it turns out, alien didn't perform properly anyway (no big deal).  I've
since fixed the problem and am waiting for word from Compaq as to when I
can upload the fixed copies.

> A final non technical observation: I think this is a great thing
> and compaq should be thanked, of course. What I didn't like that
> much was the fact that compaq seems to consider rpm as the sole
> distribution method (at least according to what they say on the
> release notes), and that in general no mention of Debian is made
> on their Linux web page (unlike for Suse and Caldera) despite the
> fact that Debian has had an alpha dist for quite some time now.

I've thanked them profusely and, despite the non-mention of us on their
pages, they've been more than cooperative as far as getting debs up for
distribution.  In short, I'm SLOWLY working on getting them to install
Debian somewhere or at least some of the packaging tools so that they can
generate their own debs.  Their stance, which sadly is somewhat
understandable, is that RPM is the dominant choice of packaging formats on
Alpha right now.  If we keep up the good work on the distribution and get
mroe people to choose Debian, perhaps they'll change their minds :-)