installation of Compaq Fortran

Hi everyone,

I installed the compaq fortran debs on an SX164. This is a
"mostly" Slink machine, in the sense that there are still Hamm
pieces in it.

I'd like to make a few observations about the install:

As previously observed in this list one has to use
--force-depends to get the debs installed on a slink system.

There is a problem with the postinstall scripts for the cpml-ev*
packages, in that they (well I don't know about ev6, I have ev5,
of course) do not generate the libcpml.so: I tried also to
download the corresponding rpm and regenerate the deb from it
using alien. Then I looked at the rpm and did what the script was
supposed to do by hand.

Is this one a problem with alien or something different?

Anyway, doing the "ld -shared ..." plus /sbin/ldconfig by hand
apparently made the warning about the cpml go away. Still, fort
is able to compile but not to link some small test progs that
should be linked with code produced by g77 (CERN Libraries).
Removing that part made the program link allright. I'll post more
about this.

A final non technical observation: I think this is a great thing
and compaq should be thanked, of course. What I didn't like that
much was the fact that compaq seems to consider rpm as the sole
distribution method (at least according to what they say on the
release notes), and that in general no mention of Debian is made
on their Linux web page (unlike for Suse and Caldera) despite the
fact that Debian has had an alpha dist for quite some time now.

Cheers,

	Ettore
--
Ettore Aldrovandi -- SISSA/International School for Advanced Studies
Via Beirut 2/4, I-34013 Trieste, Italy