Re: compag fortran compilers

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Luke Shulenburger wrote:

> I downloaded the compaq fortran compilers a couple weeks ago when they
> were only available in rpm format.  I attempted to install using alien,
> but ran into serious dependency problems, so I bailed.  I checked again
> today and I found that they had put debian packages on their ftp site
> which I promptly downloaded (I really need these compilers).  Upon trying
> to install them I ran into a dependency problem that seemed less than
> trivial to me.  I am running slink, which uses libc6.1 version
> 2.0.7.something and the compilers require version 2.1.  I noticed that
> potato contains libc6.1 version 2.1, but needless to say dpkg spit that
> one out when I tried to install it on my slink based system.  I'm a bit
> afraid to just try to grab the source and install the new library because
> I have heard nightmare stories about people who have done that and then
> their entire system did not work.  Could someone suggest a course of
> action?  Do I need to install potato?

No, not at all (from memory here).  I made those debs, fyi, and, while
they are made on a potato system (all I have), the binaries are all
static with the exception of ladebug, which is linked to libcstd2.8 (and
oldlibs package).  Let me know if you have any problems and I can attempt
to regenerate the debs on a slink system.  Compaq has been VERY
cooperative with my requests in regard to offering debs, so I don't expect
resistance if something pops up like this.  Also, if they happen to catch
this message, THANKS for the help regarding this.

Try to install the packages anyway, is my advice.  Use --force-depends,
but please install them in the proper order according to their
instructions.  From my recall, ladebug doesn't need to be installed, but
the rest does, and in order.