Re: Big problems with arch-indep perl-based packages on archs other than i386

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 01:46:52AM -0700, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:
> Christopher C. Chimelis, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >I just realised that there are quite a few perl-based packages
> >(libapache-mod-perl, libapache-asp-perl, many more) that install files to
> >an architecture-dependent path (ie. /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/).
>
> Note that when a Perl module is installed, if any of it has a binary
> component (Perl XS), all of the module is installed into the
> arch-dependent directory.

A further note, in case anyone gets confused:  This is true in the perl
5.005 series, but not in the 5.004 series (at least up to 5.004_04, the
version in potato).  In the latter, a module can be partly installed into
the architecture-independent directory (eg, the .pm files), partly into the
architucture-dependent directory (eg, the .so files).

I suppose this was changed to prevent accidental version mismatches.

Andrew