Debian Install Problems on an XP1000 (EV6)

Howdy:

I have a new Compaq XP1000 box. According to a tech at Compaq, it's a Monet
Veriosn using the Tsunami Chipset, or maybe the other way around. It's an EV6
alpha. Plenty of RAM, IBM SCSI disks.

I tried to install Debian 2.1 on it and ran into a few interesting errors.

I chose the generic kernel.

I had to fdisk it by hand. I set it up with a BSD Disklabel, as this allows
the SRM to find the partitions itself. At first I had it set up 4 partitions,
a as root, b as swap, d as var, and e as usr (or so I hoped...)

It never seemed to recognize beyond the first partition.
Fdisk also gets the virtual drive geometry wrong.

Lastly, it fails the "Smoke" test. It never offers to install boot blocks, and
The boot floppy kernel panics when it tries to mount /dev/sda1.

Any ideas, input or questions would be appreciated.

(For those who might wonder, I did get RedHat 6.0 to install on a similar box.
The diffs between that and 2.1 might be telling...)

--
Hacksaw = David Charles Todd
BBN Technologies = Hacksaw's Employer