Re: MILO. now it boots - but ...

On Friday,  4 Jun, Oliver wrote:
> thanks a lot to all who helped me - I can boot my system from a floppy. The
> next should be to install MILO on my HDD. I leave a partition with 2MB
> unused (no fs). So I tried "dd if=/dev/sda1 of=partitio bs=1440" but I
> wasn't able to boot from the srm-console with "boot dka0".

If you want to boot from SRM, your disk must be partitioned with the BSD
disklabel scheme.

Funny enough, I just tried fdisk, cfdisk, and sfdisk, and none of them
recognised my disklabel-partitioned drives.  Something must have gone
wrong with the util-linux package.  At least fdisk used to understand
BSD partitions some time ago.

Chances are high that your current partitioning scheme is different
(PC-ish).  In this case you can't make SRM boot from the hard drive
unless you re-partition it.  (I wonder how this can be possible, given
the current state of Debian's fdisk.)

Nikita