Re: Again: Milo - question

> thanks to Matthew Peddlesden - but I tried " boot sda1:" or "boot
> sda1:/vmlinux root=/dev/sda1" but MILO will not load the ext2-fs:
> MILO: unknown filesystem on device sda1
> I partitioned the HDD with ext2 (85)! I'm useing Debian2.1 and I didn't
> found a usefull introduction for this topic. Please can somebody help?

Hmm. When I installed Debian onto my machine I found that the only way I
could get it to work was to also put all the disk labeling on as well.
This is available in the fdisk program by issuing 'b' if I remember, for
BSD Disk Labelling.  Use the help to double check that.
When I installed, I went through the following procedure:

In Fdisk, set up the BSD Disk Label, you need:
a: to be your main area
b: to be your swap area
c: to be your WHOLE disk, ie. it overlaps EVERYTHING, including the first
two cylinders that you left.

Make sure to start a: a  couple of cylinders in.

Set the types up correctly (your main should be type 'ext2' and your swap
should be 'swap', the WHOLE disk partition should be left at none.

Now comes the fun bit :)  You need to mimick that information in the
conventional partitioning, so write the partition table out and then go
back into fdisk, and add the partitions in as normal, set up their types
and you're ready to go.

I did the initial setup of this drive when I was trying to get RedHat 6.0
on here, so I'm not sure if/how the debian CFDisk will do it, if at all -
but hopefully there's a copy of fdisk somewhere on the install set that
you can use if it doesn't, or someone else can slap me around and say
'oooh my lordy! what a silly way to do it!' hehehehe :)

Make the swap and the filesystem and from then Milo should be happy.  The
tricky bit is getting the above two steps right and matched together - if
they don't match it won't complain, but you might get some bizarre things
happening later on.

Let me know how you get on :)

Matthew Peddlesden.